07 October 2012

Red Cross


Today's race was the Red Cross. It was nearly the same as yesterday's course but run in reverse. This direction actually flowed a little better and I enjoyed it more. I also ate a little better in the morning and was feeling good for the start of the race. The pack seemed smaller today and strung out fairly quickly so there wasn't as much chaos in the first few corners. That being said, one Redbike rider decided to dismount for the difficult downhill hairpin and, when two riders in front of me had difficulty with the corner, he still wanted to push past us all and I got a good whack from his bike as he carried it by me. It didn't gain him much of an advantage and he slowed considerably toward the end of his second lap at which point I was able to make an easy pass.

Unfortunately, the end of my second lap was also the end of my race. The tough little hills cause tightness in my back and I was also experiencing a lot of pain in my left hip and leg.

I completed just 5 km in 21 minutes for an average speed of 14.4 km/h and a maximum of 24.7 km/h. My two laps were consistent at 10:22 and 10:28 plus a little lead up at the beginning. I averaged just 165 bpm with a maximum of 178 bpm. That's a little low but the first lap usually appears low as it takes a minute or two to get my heart rate up on the start.

No comments:

my iTunes