06 October 2012

Jim Horner GP


Today was the Jim Horner cyclocross race. It was your typical Alberta 'cross race where the designer found a hill, in this case the termination of Mill Creek Ravine, and made the riders to go up and down as many times as possible. The designer was also in love with hairpin turns, some of which were situated on the sides of the hills to add extra toughness. While I'm normally better at short, sprinter's climbs than those typically around me during a race, I counted nine climbs of various lengths around the course. As you can see from my GPS data, it was a very stop/start kind of race for me due to the hairpins and climbs. My forearms were actually very sore in the afternoon due to all the hard braking which was required around the course.

I have to say I really didn't like the course during the pre-ride but, during the first two laps, I was able to make some of the first half of the course flow a little better so I enjoyed things a little more at that point. As usual, the first technical section became a gong show at the back of the pack as some riders ahead of me fell on one of the few open corners, which was also on a sidehill. Someone broke the tape at that point and a few riders went outside one pole, avoiding both the crashes and the lowest part of the corner. The crashes bunched a number of riders back up so the next two hairpins were also very slow. The only other bit of interest to my race was the longest steep climb on the course. It was on a narrow trail surrounded by high grass. On my first two laps, I was behind the same rider who dismounted and ran up. I feel I could have run up faster than him but I didn't feel like getting off the trail so I was actually able to catch my breath a little. I had no one in front of me on my third lap so I decided to ride the hill. I was able to do it but I almost stalled at the top. I'm considering either a smaller chainring up front or a larger cog on my cassette as these short, steep climbs seem very typical in my races and a slightly easier gear would help.

I ended up doing four laps, for 10.1 km, in 44:46. That put my average speed at one of my slowest for a cyclocross race at just 13.5 km/h with a maximum of 25.3 km/h. There was a little run-up to the start and then my lap times were 10:42, 10:55, 11:24, and 11:25. I really felt fatigued after my second lap and really wanted to be pulled because I was a lap down after just three laps but, at that point, I was still on the lead lap. I averaged 171 bpm with a maximum of 180 bpm so I was on the limit of my anaerobic threshold pretty much the whole race. All the short climbs mean there's never a choice of how to pace yourself through the race.

I have an equipment update. Once again, I really felt like my rear wheel has lots of internal friction. It seems that even my old commuter rolls better than my cyclocross bike. So, on the advice of a teammate, I was back on the Williams Cycling website and saw that they do have some alloy clincher 'cross wheels. I have a pair on order and I really hope they're here before the Lion's Den 'Cross on 20 Oct. At this point, I'm leaning towards switching my cassette over to the new wheels and continuing not to have a second set of wheels in the pit.

No comments:

my iTunes