20 August 2006

Blown Away


Our first attempt at camping did not turn out so well. The day was quite nice and relaxing. We had an early start and got ourselves set up at a campsite on a reservoir near Bassano. The day was hot and sunny and there were even some other campers there with dachshunds! Unfortunately, just as it was getting dark, it got pretty windy. The Brooks weather station reported sustained 41 km/h winds with gusts of 62 km/h at one point in the night. It felt worse where we were. With these winds, threatening clouds and lots of lightning in the area, we decided to bail and head home. I had pegged the tent down but the ground was too soft and most of the pegs were ripped out of the ground when we went to pack up. I'm not sure how much blowing my tent can withstand and I prefer when it doesn't tumble across a campsite and float away on a lake. I think we got everything stuffed into the car before it blew away. Oh well. We'll try again soon. Maybe we'll even try a backpacking trip next.

No comments:

my iTunes