25 September 2011

Flopped but didn't hurl

Sunday was Hardcore's Hop 'N' Hurl cyclocross race. It was run in the opposite direction of the School Of Cross race with just a few small modifications in the ravine. I was able to ride a few more parts of the ravine section but there were still six dismounts per lap. I felt better about the course and the race than I had the previous day but that came to an end on the first steep descent into the ravine. I twisted my front wheel about half way down the hill and went right over the handlebars. I got my only revenge against the course by going right through one of the stakes and breaking it. I continued on with grass in my right shifter and tucked between my front tire and rim. I was very surprised that my front tire wasn't a potato chip after twisting it in that rut on a downhill. I didn't really inspect my bike, or myself, before jumping back in the race but I could tell after a while that the rear wheel wasn't 100% and my lower body number was hanging on with just one pin. After the race, I noticed that I'll have to spend a little time aligning my rear wheel before Tuesday's race. Two of the three pins that ripped were still in my jersey. I picked up another DNF after three laps. In retrospect, I should have continued on in both races as they would have totalled about an extra 40 minutes of good training. After my fall, I was running second-last and starting to lose contact with the guy just in front of me. My lap times were more consistant at 9:14, 9:26 and 9:57. I had an average heart rate of 171 bpm with a maximum of 183. I was indeed trying as hard as I could but I don't go very fast for that kind of effort.

No comments:

my iTunes