21 September 2008

GP Champion City cyclocross



I had been toying with calling this blog entry, "open battery surgery." Right off the top I should say that it wasn't anything wrong with me which was causing my low heart rate. My monitor got quite flaky the last time I wore it and was dropping lots of data points. I replaced the battery on Thursday and was up to maximum bpm for the races this weekend.
On Saturday, the GP Champion City cyclocross race took place at Goldbar Park in Edmonton. The weather was great and the course was fantastic. There were basically two sections: a flat, twisty section just after the start and then a more hilly section up above the park for the last two thirds of the lap. There was a good hairpin just before the start line and two dirt trail climbs which were challenging but could be climbed on the bike. My favourite corner was at the far NW end of the course. The trail had a slight bend to the left while going downhill. Where the trail emerged from the trees, there was a sharp right turn. The ground fell away slightly but very quickly and there was tape and a big side hill for anyone who ran wide.
The winner lapped me twice but the main field only lapped me once during the race. I was also able to keep many riders behind me but rode alone for almost all the race. I averaged over 17 km/h over 39 minutes and 42 seconds with a maximum speed of 44.6 km/h. My heart rate was back to normal values; I averaged 169 bpm with a maximum of 181.

No comments:

my iTunes